Monday, October 14, 2013

Today

I often sit and observe my students. This is for pure grading purposes. They love to talk while they work. Today I struck up a conversation while showing one of my youngest students how to use water color pencils. They are using them to make different color schemes. She recently came from Cuba. She and another student started to remember their times in school there. One thing that stuck out to me was how she made sure to mention how during lunch they only would get water and only once in a blue moon they would get juice. It reminded me of our Christmases in Dominican Republic and how those where the only times that we saw apples and grapes or at least the only times we bought these things. 
It's interesting the things we take for granted. I asked if she missed her old school. She nodded her head with a smile.