Saturday, May 19, 2012

Coral Ridge mall show



It has been a long time since I have chosen to show my work. I prefer art festivals than art galleries. The coral ridge mall show is not a festival nor a gallery.
I am literally set up in front of the food court with eight easels. Eight paintings. A table full of mixed media images and drawings.
It's 12 20 in the afternoon. I don't know why I put myself throught this. I should know that people at malls are not interested in art. You go to a mallto buy a shirt. A pair of socks. To get out of the heat, not to buy art.
So far I have had maybe half a Dosen people actually stop and look. And just one had the guts to sift through the drawings.
The kids are the ones that notice the most. The grown ups seem to be preoccupied. I can't blame them.
I chose to come here because I needed to get work I front of lots of people. That's why I like art festivals. You are exposed to thousands of people.
In florida the season has not started yet. It's too hot outside. And the snow birds wont be here until September or October.
The kids insist in touching the work.
I get nervous when they do.
My wife comes by and then leaves to yet another store.
What will become of me if this does not work out.
In the background I hear a small girl say "WOW. Those are pretty paintings" and for a second or two I am pleased...
My wife left and I am left to fend for myself. Luckily I brought my kindle. I am reading moneyball. A great read. You should check it out...
I get this couple who look at some of my work for a long time. I gave them my card. Which is not really a card. It's a piece of fancy paper that I painted on. The paper was donated to me from a print shop.
I wrote my blog on the back and a site called about me ( about.me/omarsangiovanni ) it has all the links to me and my info.
I don't think my wife liked these but I thought they are nice little paintings.
I got another prospect right after them, I think she is interested in a print.
I keep reading my book and the lady in the stand next to me. The one selling hair extensions asks me if I will be here tomorrow. She might be interested in some work.
I don't know if anything will come of this but I would have never run into these people at a gallery. ( but I migh be selling for much more money in a gallery).
And I don't think I would have to seat for hours on end.... Alone.
I don't think I mind it as long as I have a book with me.
Hopefully the few people that showed interest will contact me.

The day ends with no sales. Just standing in a loading zone with a couple of my larger paintings that could not stay waiting for my wife to pick me up.
Tomorrow will be better.


Sent from my iPod