Thursday, May 3, 2012

Civic


during the summer of 2005 i took a painting class at tropical fairchild gardens in miami, fl.
i made five paintings. five large paintings. its probably the only painting class i have ever taken.
i am a printmaker and consider myself a printmaker that loves to paint.
my class was taught by professor chang.
an amazing artist.
we painted from nature.
I particularly liked how chang taught because he taught in great detail... even what kind of brushes he like to use... and how when you buy brushes you should sock them in hot water so the glue that holds them together would melt away...
he even went as far as teaching how he washed his brushes...
i liked this... in printmaking you need to know all the technical details... if not you can make huge mistakes... i find that a great deal of at teachers don't teach this way... and there are a lot of students that crave this... i understand why they don't teach these things but some students need some extra guidance...
he demonstrated how he approaches a painting... and painted one so we could see.
the painting above is one of his.. but not the one he painted for us...
you can see that the man is very confident in his ability to portray nature.
this was a class offered at Florida International University.
and i enjoyed it very much... because of it i have the teaching position i have today (but thats another story)...
i used to drive a nissan sentra... i loved that car.... the paintings i was working on fit perfectly in the back seat...
my issue started with the fact that we where to have a show after all the paintings where finished and dry...
while my paintings fit perfectly in the car unframed they did not even come close to fitting in the car framed...so i got a friend with a truck help me move my paintings for the show... the show was a success...
my problem came at the end of the show and its how i ended up at the end of the show...
the show ran through the fall....if i recall correctly
we where to pick up our paintings in december....
a friend promised that he would donate his time and his truck...he did not show up
so i did the next best thing...i strapped the paintings to the roof of my car... smart right?
not really...
when i was in the process of doing this one of the other students in the show offered to move the paintings for me... life has a way of teaching you things...
i told her i was ok...which probably was where i went wrong
so now i am traveling with two huge paintings strapped to the roof of my car...they are very secure but i was still nervous that something might happen to them...
i should have been worried about my driving instead...
i was making a left turn... when all of a sudden a car Smashes right into mine...
i had no way of recognizing how fast this kid was going but he could have killed me.
my car must have spun...i don't know how many times...but i started in the intersection and ended up on curb of the side where i was going to turn....
since i was the one making the turn... it was my fault...
the funny thing i was so worried about the paintings and nothing happened to them... even after getting hit...
my friend who at the time was a firefighter came to help me and helped to get my car home...
there i was without a car... i had no idea what to do...
i had to show up to work... i was substituting at a high school.
my friend simon helped by picking me up and dropping me off... and christmas break came...
my brother helped in buying my civic...we bought it at largo honda
because thats where his ex-girlfriend bought her previous car...
they actually delivered the car to my house...
i showed up to work in a new car after christmas break and a teacher noticed and mentioned to me that i must be making great money... to be able to buy my car...i know she did not mean anything by it...
substitute teachers don't make crap... 
but the civic has been probably the best car i have ever owned...
i still have it... although i don't drive it...